Fact of the Day: Plane Crashes Death Toll

If you consider yourself a citizen scientist, researcher, journalist or blogger read this post. #ThinkSpeak

I love the way the web is evolving, in particular the meta-search engines. I subscribe to Knoema, a US-based company, that was founded in July 2011. Knoema was born out of the recognition that in managing complex international aid programs and developing effective national economic development policies, the lack of available, quality data frequently impeded progress and shared understanding. The name Knoema is derived from the combination of knowledge and the Greek word νόημα (noema), which stands for 'what makes sense'. Knoema makes sense of data in an easy to use format. 

Knoema produce the most wonderful ready-to-go infographics from well curated data sources (see example below), which I am increasingly using for research. They have recently launched a fact of the day service, which I love; today's fact of the day is based on the number of deaths due to aeroplane crashes. I have a pre-morbid preoccupation with aeroplane crashes, which probably stems from the fact that I spend so many hours travelling in planes.  I always start a flight asking myself whether, or not, this fight will be the one? 


2,490 people died in 282 plane crashes during the last two years.

June 22, 2016



Number of people died in 282 plane crashes during the last two years

Since the start of the year, 47 plane crashes have taken 263 human lives. For the nearly 100-year history of aircraft accidents, a total of 139,822 fatalities were recorded in the World. In the last decade, 2005 appeared to be the deadliest year resulting in 1,463 fatalities while the "record" year in the last century was 1944 - the year of World War 2 - when 3,334 people died in 735 crashes.
Find out more
When you share, please reference Knoema using the knoema.com URL located below the respective fact. 
  


In view of my earlier post today about health inequalities across Europe I pulled the following data and infographic from Knoema's website; it took less than 30 seconds to do. If I can do this in 30 seconds think what Knoema could do for you or any other citizen scientist, researcher, journalist or blogger. I would recommend you give Knoema a go. 

Comments

  1. Thank you so much!

    I will most certainly check it out.

    In as far as plane crashes I cant fly. I'd open the door. Serious.

    I cant do highways either like the Interstates and such here in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess sorta towards that stuff we all have fears which is a struggle for me. There is actually a really good book by Rabbi Kurt Schneider about fear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts